Saturday, March 15, 2008

Security? For whom?

I recently bought a CD for $5. It took me about 15 minutes to work my way through the wrappings and protective tape that I suppose kept the darned thing from being taken from its jewel case and stolen in the store. That started me wondering. Does anyone trust other people? How much security must we go through before we say, "ENOUGH!"

We're kept standing in long lines at airports for security checks. These checks are spotty and usually inefficient. One airport will make me take my shoes off; another will make me step aside for wanding after I pass their magnetic detector, but say nothing about shoes. The last time I went through JFK, there was an hour wait for security. As I was being passed, I noticed the screen of one of the X-rays. It must have been an electrician's tool kit. There were screw drivers and razor knives. The man was passed and his case was not checked. We're paying for this.

Have you noticed? TSA employees don't wear name tags. That means if one does something way out of line, like a man hand searching a woman passenger, he can't be reported. The rules are inconsistent. My flight home from New York allowed me to lock my check on after it was inspected. When it arrived at home, the locks had been broken off and a TSA tag said that it had been searched. Several jewelry presents for my wife were missing. I've sent e-mails and letters, none of which have been answered. Come to think on it, why should they bother?

The inconsistency goes beyond CDs and the TSA. Just look around at the security arrangements in your nearest store. Marvelous.

No comments: