Tuesday, July 22, 2008

a note from July 22



Even with the oppressive heat, I find time to get out in the garden. Our first surprise lily has bloomed next to the gardenia bush. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we still had a gardenia blossom, a new one. I had been sure that the heat would have stopped its flowering.

My only tomato plant has some fruit on it too. This is the "mystery mater" that was forced on my wife as she left a greenhouse sale at which she had been volunteering. Not only does it have fruit, but it has set three fresh blossoms. I may yet get home grown tomatoes from my garden this year. Even if not, Mr. Vang's are delicious.

Our new cat (Spooky) seems to be starting to get along with the old. But I am surprised by the increase in dominance activities of the old cat (Little Kitty). Not only will he stalk her, but he will try to jump my feet when my back is turned. Happily, I worked with tigers for five years. This is their favorite hunting behavior and they think its funny to jump on the backs of their friends. When they were younger and weighed less than 250 pounds, they would hit my back and slide off. When they were mature and rising twice that weight, they just rode me down, got off and laughed. Yes tigers can laugh.



Little Kitty appears above and Spooky, below.



Looking carefully at the photos, neither appears terribly happy. Perhaps it is because I disturbed them at their favorite cool spots on the floor. One will try another time.

No comments: