Sunday, October 7, 2007

no title

I'm in New Mexico today. Fran and I are visiting our daughter and granchildren. Grandson is playing JV football Monday night.
Weather is different here. It was hot and humid in Little Rock when we left. Up here, chamisa and mountain asters are blooming. The air is dry and we have a fire in the grate tonight. When I finish this, I'll join my son-in-law in watching football on TV.
Our children and grandchildren are sources of both great pride and casual disappointment to me. On the one hand, they work hard, have good lives and are, in the main, content. On the other, their domestic lives are chaotic. Thus, as a father, I worry that the contentment will not last.
I've said this to others. Children don't have less or more problems when they grow up. The problems just become more "interesting" (read more complex and harder to solve.) I suspect that most parents want to solve their children's problems for them, or at least give them good advice on how to deal with things.
I've given my share of advice, some of it even good. Sometimes, the kids follow my suggestions. All in all, not a bad track record.

Time for football!

No comments: